Thursday, January 20, 2011

That 70's Show: The Mark of the Man-Thing!
-or-
Ashton Kutcher loves him some Man-Thing.

Readers of this blog may recall that I once posted an entry showing a clip of an episode of THAT 70's SHOW, wherein the character "Michael Kelso", played by Ashton Kutcher, is holding a comic book while talking with his friends.
In that earlier post, the comic in question featured DOCTOR STRANGE.
(See it HERE)


Well... today, I have another clip from THAT 70's SHOW, but this time the comic book featured has a guest-starring role (and cover appearance) by the MAN-THING!

Before I give it away, I'll show the clip so you can check it out for yourself.
(I'll show JUST the few seconds where the comic is featured - so FOX lawyers, cut me some slack. I promise to totally make it worth your while at the end of this post.)



I know it was a little hard to spot, but trust me... that cover, even in motion, leaped out at my eyeballs and smacked me upside my cerebral cortex.
The comic in question was ASTONISHING TALES # 13 (starring Ka-Zar) from 1972. One of the Man-Thing's earliest appearances.



Sadly, the comic is almost always in motion, and as such, getting a clean screen grab was impossible (at least with MY cobbled-together software). Here's something to use as a confirmation comparison.

The words "Ashton Kutcher" and "Man-Thing"are sure to bring some improper web-searches.

Hrmm... first I spot that episode with Doctor Strange on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man, now this Man-Thing appearance... if I EVER spot a ROM comic (or toy) in the background of that show (unlikely, though, since ROM # 1 was a late 1979 release) then 'That 70's Show' will have to be named the best tv show - ever.


---

Hey, FOX legal department! Here's some "pay for play" for letting me use that clip:

That episode; "Punk Chick" is episode # 22 from Season 1 and can be purchased from this very blog (via AMAZON)!
So, hey readers... support your 70's flashbacks with more than just weed and old comics... buy a DVD boxed set today!


---
"Tamam Shud!
~P~

3 comments:

giantsizegeek said...

Wow! You have eagle eyes to find that comic in a short scene like that. One of my favorite Man-Thing stories, too, drawn by Neal Adams.

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

as someone who is a huge fan of all things 80's and late 70's i have to say this is a cool find. had come across it myself i would have definitely have seen it as a bright spot in an otherwise mediocre TV show.
speaking of scant images of some of our favorite Marvel characters i'm happy to say that the TRON trailer which featured the quick look at the ROM #26 cover is indeed part of the movie it's self for which that cover shot on the big screen was much more apparent then on youtube. sometimes movie trailers feature scenes in a movie that don't always make the final cut to the cinematic version.

Lazarus Lupin said...

Always loved ol' carrot nose, good taste on Fox's part.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

Post a Comment